Frozen Spinach Cubes
Freezing greens like spinach is a great way to prolong their shelf life. Using the freezer like this preserves the freshness and gives you more time to decide what to make with it! This can work for greens such as kale, chard, watercress and even Bok Choy (if you’ve got big enough ice cube trays! The one golden rule to freezing these greens is to blanch them before dipping them in cold water to stop them from cooking.
- Fill a large pot with water & bring to the boil.
- Blanch the spinach this will make it easier to fit into the tray.
- When the water has come to the boil add the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the water & place into a bowl of iced water, stopping the cooking process.
- When the spinach has cooled completely, drain the water.
- Using your hands squeeze out the excess water from the spinach.
- Fill each of the cubes with spinach & place into the freezer to freeze.
- When frozen transfer to an airtight container. The spinach will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.